Jul 16, 2012

'Tis the Season

'Tis the season- when the giant roaches emerge, the mosquitoes flock to feast upon my blood, my armpits stink, and I'm constantly wiping up underboob sweat and picking sweaty wedgies.  Oh, summer how I loathe thee.
A sane person would stay inside with the A/C on if they're lucky enough to have it, or in my case in front of the fan.  But I was invited by my boss to join in the mikoshi-carrying festivities that happened yesterday, so I layered up in the traditional clothes I was lent and gifted with and shouldered a huge, heavy portable Shinto shrine for the good part of four hours yesterday.  Sweatiness and bruised shoulders aside, it was a fun experience.  You may remember my post from last year, where by chance I was summoned from the sidelines of the mikoshi parade to join in the carrying.  That was fun, but it was even better to actually be a real part of it this year.
Video to follow soon, maybe.  :)

2 comments:

ローラ said...

So lucky! I would have loved to have had the chance to do that! Even though I'd have to train my upper body for it beforehand. Since I have none to speak of. ;__;

~Chai~ said...

No upper-body training needed! My arms are relatively muscle-less.. It's not so much that it's heavy, but more that it's really solid wood resting on/hitting your shoulder repeatedly, leaving it pretty tender and bruised afterward. :O
If you come back for a visit i hope you can make it to one of those festivals!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...