Dec 19, 2013

And Life Goes On

Life back State-side has been quite boring.  I'm trying not to let this blog go to the wayside, yet I'm finding that I just don't really have anything too exciting to post about.

Got a job at a local Japanese/Asian food supermarket.  Was told it was a part-time job (i.e. less than 30 hours), but have actually been working at least 30 hours a week.  Which is fine, it's not like I have anything else to do really, and I do need the money.

Was going to Kaiwa Table (student group for Japanese and American students/non-students to go and make friends and conversation partners) just for the social aspect and to get some Japanese practice in.  One Wednesday in November I went, met a couple peeps, and we've pretty much been hanging out every day since then.  We just really clicked, and have gotten to be pretty close.  They're good kids, and as luck would have it they're from Kyoto and will be going back around the same time as me, so that'll be nice that we won't have to say any sad farewells.  

What else....  Yuu came for a short visit the last weekend of November, which was really much-needed for the both of us.  It was a short three days, especially because I had to work, but it was still nice to get to see each other.  Granted Tokyo and Kyoto are far, but it's not like there's and entire ocean and a 12-hour 1000-dollar flight separating us, so I'm really looking forward to being back in Japan.

December 1st was the JLPT.  I hadn't initially planned to take it this year, but decided to apply last-minute to try again for N2.  Didn't feel like it was really any easier than last year, but at least this year there was a clock in the room so I was able to time myself properly and actually finish the test.  Since I failed by such a small margin last year, I feel like at least this year I have a little better chance.  We'll see come February.

Other than that, life is pretty much just work and hanging out with my little buddies.  In between that I've been taking some trips to Pike Place Market when I can, because while it's so cliche I just really enjoy the atmosphere of that place.  

So now I leave you with some pictures from the past couple months.


My bed buddy at my dad's
Voodoo Donuts, Portland
Gas Works Park
Reuniting with friend SW
Beautiful Seattle sunset
Autumn colors
Spontaneous trip to Leavenworth
King Street Station
Hidden sign in alleyway
Alleyway in Pioneer Square
The Dinosaurs
The infamous Gum Wall
Amazing sunset over the Market
<3

Rainy night at the Market
Cool Akira sticker on a punched-in newspaper vending machine at my bus stop
Rare winter view of Mt. Rainier

2 comments:

Gina said...

I actually think working at a Japanese grocery store sounds pretty cool. I wonder if you have surprised anyone by speaking Japanese, hahaha.

When we were in Seattle for the whole day we were really wanting to see Pike Place Market in person and also the first Starbucks, lol.

~Chai~ said...

Most of the customers we get are Chinese, so that doesn't help me much! haha There have been a couple old Japanese ladies who were so excited that I could speak it though.

And if you do happen to stop in Seattle again, I really recommend you go to Pike Place, if nowhere else. There is so much to see! And the first Starbucks is cool too. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...